Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Autumn Branches by Linda Cline - Revised


There was one branch in the quilt I made that bothered me, because it was larger than the branch it was growing out of. It irritated me enough that I decided to reconstruct that part of the quilt. I took out the quilting from just the offending part, unsewed the seams and reconstructed it with tiny little appliqué stitches and a bit of additional background fabric. The supporting branch is now slightly larger,
and the branch growing out of it slightly smaller. The branch still grows larger than the base near it’s middle which is a bit strange, but it doesn’t irritate me every time I look at it. I am happy with my quilt now. I will now be able to display it withouth thinking "I wish I would have".


Here is the original blog post where you can see the before picture.

Conclusion: Yes, you can fix patchwork after a quilt has been quilted. It is much easier to fix before you have done the quilting.

4 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Linda, As long as you're happy with it, that's what counts! It's a wonderful piece, your mysterious trees. Thanks for sharing your process and reposting.
Cynthia

Jax said...

I love this piece before and after.

Good to know you can take out quilting and redo... this is a skill that will come in handy one day I am sure.

Your quilting is great and ads so much to the background. I like the curving edge it adds a feeling of ruffling in a breeze.

Jacque

brendaj said...

I love this piece, too, from the detailing in the trees to the overall layout of the piece. Very cool.
Brenda

laura west kong said...

That's reassuring to know that sort of repair can be done. I think it turned out great!