Saturday, October 07, 2006

Autumn in Albuquerque


This is my challenge piece, "Autumn in Albuquerque".

The idea behind it was--Autumn here in the Southwest is usually a little later than in other parts of the country. When I looked around, I saw a lot of green still, and what I really noticed was an abundance of yellow and purple flowers. So I knew that I would use the new yellow/purple fabric that I handdyed a couple weeks ago. As for the 3-D element, I have been wanting to do a quilt with the pleats that are a different color on each side, and this was the perfect opportunity. I used green on one side, and the yellow/purple on the other side to symbolize the change of the seasons from Spring and Summer greens to Fall. The background is black with irregular dots of yellow, tan, greens and turquoise-- colors of the SW.

This is my first attempt at blogging, so we'll see if it works!-- Elizabeth in NM

5 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Elizabeth, this piece is lovely! I really like the movement created by the turning of the pleats at varying points. Can you tell us more about how it is pieced to get the 2 colored sides and background together? Also, did you tack the turned part of the pleat down or is it stiffened somehow? Last question...is that a black border or is it on a black background for the photo? If it's a border, it's a perfect frame. Great job!
Cynthia

Elizabeth in NM said...

Cynthia,
Thanks for the nice comments. I used a technique based on a quilt featured in the Sept./Oct. issue of Fons and Porter's magazine, but I changed the pleating method a little, partly because I am really bad at reading directions! What I did was sew the two pleating fabrics right sides together, turned them and pressed them flat, and then inserted them into the seam of the "background" fabric.

Then the pleats are held down with two rows of quilting (about 1/8th inch apart) swooping across the quilt.

I did finish it with a solid black border and binding. I debated for a couple of days how to finish it, and in the end decided that the solid black would give the impression of a framed piece of art.

I forgot to mention that the size is 23 x 19 inches.

--Elizabeth

Jax said...

Hi Elizbeth,

I love the pleating it is a technique I want to learn. You did a beautiful job of choosing fabrics for this they all move together. It moves I am reminded of fire and wind and dancing and the specks in the black remind me of a snowy fall day. I love this piece!

Jacque

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Elizabeth - I think you've done a great job in showing us autumn in New Mexico. New Mexico is filled with colors that seem different from anywhere else. This reminds me of the aspens in the mountains when they turn yellow. It is intriguing that your two lines of quilting swooping across the piece create all this interest. In this case, less is more. Love it.

Roberta

laura west kong said...

It's exquisite! I've always wanted to try that technique. I like the contrast in the colors and styles of fabric you've chosen, and the black border sets it off perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing.