Saturday, October 21, 2006

Falling into the Depths of Despair


Figured I may as well put it here too, so I can see what everyone thinks of my "1 day NEED to do it NOW" project.
This is a therapeutic little quilt that I woke up the other morning envisioning in my head complete with name that I knew had to be made for the challenge. I have been really down in the dumps for several weeks now and have not been able to sew or design at all because of it. At another time in my life when I had a similar problem I made a wallhanging called Hurdles and it seemed to relieve the stress, so I decided to try again. This is the result.
I originally envisioned it as a whirlpool sucking me down to despair ...but just couldn't get the spiral of fabric to cooperate with me!
The hands are stuffed slightly and are reaching out for somebody to save me...quilted in the red in front of her are the words "help me"...the beads under her spell "despair"
And it worked,,the simple act of creating this little 11" square helped , I am not fully renewed in spirit but much better today. May have to change the name as somebody suggested to "Climbing OUT...."

4 comments:

Jan said...

Your little quilt definitely shows depth! The colors are perfect, too, for feeling down in the dumps. I do hope it's made you feel somewhat better?
Jan

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cathy, Thanks for posting and also sharing your process. Your quilt really does portray what you intended...good job! And there is a good feeling of depth. Do the white dots represent something or are they for added interest?

Cynthia

Unknown said...

Cynthia, they dont show good in the picture, but the white dots are actually alphabet beads that spell out despair..

laura west kong said...

Great choice of fabrics. The design really does show depth.

I like the hope in the "climbing out" title because I know exactly what you mean about a spiralling pit of despair. That could just as well be me sometimes.