Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Fall on Water


I'd appreciate feedback on my quilt, Fall on Water. It's about 12X10 inches, done with my hand-dyed fabric exclusively. (The colors really are better than they are showing up on the computer.) Fused applique, the upper left leaf is the 3D element, attached only at the stem and point, made with wire between two layers of fabric and interfacing so I can "pose" it. I finished the edge with satin stitch (not enough fabric for a same-fabric binding)- that is one element I would change next time.

Thanks for your comments!

Beverly

6 comments:

CalicoDaydreams said...

Oh how beautiful! The colors are wonderful. I love the shapes of the leaves and the way you made the stems.

This quilt has such texture and life. You did a really beautiful job.

Unknown said...

I agree, this is a beauty! I love how the leaf that just landed is sort of curled up and the ripples it created...I can "see" this lake with the leaves on it in my mind..

Roberta Ranney said...

The colors are really attractive and so "fall". I like the background fabric with the lighter areas - the hand-dyed fabric makes all the difference. I also like the stem handing off the edge. The swirling quilting gives a nice watery feeling.

Roberta

Ferret said...

I love the idea of adding the wire to the leaf so you can pose it. Very clever. I bet this quilt looks even better in person than in the picture.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Beverly,
What stunning colors! Great combination of gold and dark blue. I'm sure your lovely hand dyeds show up better in person and with more color variation. The quilting lines and the overlapped positioning of the leaves really add to the depth, too. Nice job! But does need one thing? Like one white dot? or maybe one more orangey leaf?
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

The circular quilting is a great suggestion of ripples on water. Clever idea about posing the leaf.

I like the interesting leaf shape.

I don't see how the colors could get any better than they are showing here on my screen. I would love to see it in person.

You could still bind the quilt with a skinny binding later on if you dye more blue. It wouldn't have to be exactly the same as the background. I agree that's the only thing worthy of change.