Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Jabberwock


I chose to be a bit less 'dark' as I depicted the Jabberwock. Since it's however we view it I chose to look at it as the coming winter. Many things are dark then and cold with stark branches, shorter, darker days, etc.
I used cotton fabrics with the background piece my own hand-dyed fabric. Although bright blues it can also show the frigid colds being the death of all living things for a period of time. The leaves are all various batiks. I also depicted the death part as the leaves dying and one falling off the branch. For texture, the various fabrics of course, the stitching of veins on the leaves, finely stretched and separated yarn for the cold, blowing winds and white seed beads for snow flakes.

Jan Johnson

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jan, this gets the feeling of winter across so good I can FEEL the wind thats blowing and snow hitting my face! The fabric is great and the dead leaves with one falling is the perfect touch. A beautiful little quilt.

Tina Marie Rey said...

I find this to be a very pieceful place. Many people struggle with creating wind, and you did an amazing job capturing it. The leaves are done very well, there is a lot of depth in this piece, and the quilting really makes the leaves look not only dimensional, but real. Great Job.

laura west kong said...

The hand-dyed fabric is perfect! Wonderful job on the quilting too. It looks and feels just like winter.

The only thing I would change is probably just a personal preference. You did a great job on the bindings, but I would like to see them narrower on such a small piece.

The puffs of yarn are really neat too.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan,
I think the fading warmth of the leaves and the coldness of the winter are depicted very effectively. The quilting lines, whispy material, and seed beads make the piece for me...wonderful movement. I feel the leaves could be a bit less static in keeping with the blowing wind. Regarding the binding...it is a personal preference. Facing this piece could be effective in creating a more expansive feel.

It's a lovely piece and great fun to have such a different piece in the challenge.

Cynthia