Friday, October 06, 2006

Maple Leaves

Maple Leaves is 16 x 22" and is constucted using hand dyed fabrics, fused applique, trapunto, and lots of free motion quilting. The 3D elements are individual little quilts that are pieced or fused and stiffened with a glue & water solution to hold the curvy shape and come off the surface for a bit more depth. I was going for both movement (with the varying positions of the leaves and the quilting lines) and depth (with the trapunto on the tree, varying sizes of the leaves indicating some close and some farther away, as well as the little 3D quilt blocks which cast shadows). My traditional roots show up...the smallest 3D quilt block is the traditional pieced block called Maple Leaf.



7 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Thanks, Penny. The little quilts are 1 1/2 to 2 inches and I used regular Elmer's glue mixed half and half with water.

brendaj said...

I love the purple tree, the great quilting, and the shadow created by the "quiltlets". I also really like the darker olive "borders" on the left and bottom. The variations in the background also add to the feeling of depth.
Brenda

CalicoDaydreams said...

I love the window box you made which gives your piece depth! The traditional maple leaves are so cool the way they have a shadow and seem to float out of the tree.

The tree itself is such a beautiful color and design, and I am in awe of all of you machine quilting.

I can find nothing to suggest changing except its address. You can send it to me... Lol!

Beautiful quilt!

Jax said...

Cynthia,

Your quilting on this is amazing it really gives it depth and movement. The pieced leaves are wonderful in their texture they really look crinkly and rumpled like a leaf does.Wonderful!

Jacque

Jax said...

p.s. The leafe actually lifts off the ground on the edge! Awesome!

Jacque

Roberta Ranney said...

I absolutely love it - everything works and it is delightful. What more can I say?

Roberta

laura west kong said...

Wonderful choices of fabric, delightful shape of the tree trunk. The leaves and the very clever quilts seem to float down so gracefully. The attic windows border adds a nice touch. I wouldn't change a thing!