Monday, October 09, 2006

sewinginsa


Fall Guy

Fast Friday Fabric Challenge #1 part 2

I've had to remove the hair & start over! In my haste to see if I could use the element, I neglected to figure out that it might ravel after it was attached. When I was moving the piece around to finish the profile & do some quilting & adding other elements to complete, that's exactly what it did....RAVEL! So I'm back to square 1 as far as using the orange bag for hair. Since I had gotten such posotive feed-back on using this material in the 1st place, I'll need to come up w/ an alternative method of attaching it! (SIGH)

3 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sonja, what a fun piece! I love pieces based on puns. Have you ever seen the book or exhibit called Oxy-Moron quilts that was around a few years ago? Yours would fit right in.
Could you dip the orange bag material in a 50/50 glue & water solution to keep the fabric strips together? It'll stiffen it a bit though, which could be fun as it will hold whatever shape you put it in while it drys. I can't wait to see what you do on the next challenge.
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Sonja - I love looking at the way you built this guy. I can just see you saying "oh he just needs a bit of green here" or "hmm, this would make a cool nose". And he has a big heart. It is obvious that you just let yourself go and have fun - and the results are really fun to see. Thanks for sharing the Fall Guy.

Roberta

laura west kong said...

It looks like you are having a great time. Very creative recycling with the orange bag (looks good too!) I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Will that fray check sort of stuff work on the edges or is that too thin?