Friday, October 20, 2006

SPOOKY AUTUMN

This photo is my Fast Friday Fabric Challenge....I've been trying to put my photo's and description on FFFC Blog I hope this will be successful...the second photo is how I hang it from the corner with a plastic curtain ring.

SPOOKY AUTUMN ... Details I wanted to do this first challenge as I will miss the next one I will be in Houston Oct.23 thru Nov 6. I made Spooky Autumn and decided it needs to hang by one corner. Size 13x12 the top(the tent shaoe) 131/2 x13 the bottom (the v shape), just one plastic ring to hang. The size came to be quite a surprise to me as I just trimmed the edges with my rotary cutter and no ruler. First I pieced the top and put together with backing and batting and quiltedit. Next I added fused halloween fabrics..ghosts, pumpkins, black cat, spider-web, bats and a long snake-like strip across the quilt.To this I stitched fluffy yarn and the double faced leaves I stitched only down the spines and curled the edges I hand sewed a plastic spider on the web in the leaves.I finished the edges with an overcast stitch and added more fluffy yarn to complete the quilt. By the way...upon examining my quilt I have two white dots!! The ghost has two little white eyes...LOLOL


Janice Simpson In Marquette Michigan...Let me know what you think...I've changed the name from "Spooky Fall Colors" to " Spooky Autumn"

2 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Janice,
Wow..this is one of the most textural pieces I've seen. The mainly blue & orange complementary color scheme is very effective. I really like the halloween/spooky elements and the swirly feel in the background. And the fuzzy yarns are perfect! The only comment I have is that the leaf elements may not add to the composition...they seem more spring-like and the color & value don't make them that visible. I think some more spooky elements or fall type leaves could be more effective or at least something to consider.
Very fun piece...good job.
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

Great fabrics, especially the sky! I love the couched yarn and the little path with the pumpkin fabrics underneath.

I'm undecided about the leaves. In southern California there's still a lot of greenery around this time of year so it doesn't seem too out of place to me. But with all the halloween fabrics on clearance now, you might consider replacing them with some things with faces. You could fuse them to some stiff interfacing and partially attach them down to get the same dimensional effect as the leaves.

Either way, it's a cute and fun seasonal decoration!