Friday, November 03, 2006

Jaws and Claws


This is my challenge 2 piece "Jaws and Claws" inspired by the lines in the Jabberwocky poem. It measures 15 x 12.5 inches. Techniques used were foundation paper piecing, bobbin work with Razzle Dazzle, sheer fabric overlay, heavy quilting to define certain areas, and couching yarn. The "binding" is also couched yarn. This was a stretch for me, interpreting a poem into abstract, but a good learning lesson. I made several other sketches that I might develop in the future. Feedback is welcome!
--Elizabeth in NM

4 comments:

valerie said...

Good color combinations! The use of 5 triangles and growing in size, in addition to the curving lines gives your piece great movement!

Linda Cline said...

I see hardness, jagedness, smoothness, and dank foresty leafiness.

The dark triangles at the bottom kind of look like stylized trees in an abstracted landscape. And the horizontal format gives a sense of calmness.

I tried looking at it in different orientations. Upside down, I see pale trees or peaks on top of a stylized hill.

Vertical, with the large orange square in the top right corner, it looses the landscape quality and seems more abstract; jagedness contrasted with soft colors and curves.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Linda brings up a good point...sometimes a piece looks completely different rotated. I tried what Linda did just for fun and I really liked the vertical with large orange square in the top right corner! It's more surprising and truly abstract. Either way, it is a well balanced composition. And the edging is great.

Cynthia

laura west kong said...

I agree--great edging. The use of the other fibers and Razzle Dazzle thread in the center is also effective.

Lots of movement and variety of shapes and lines make for a well-balanced and interesting composition.
laura