Sunday, December 03, 2006

Birch View


Now that I have finally figured out this blog thing, I can post an image! This round quilt started out to be a porthole with fish swimming around in it but as you can see, it wanted to be a forest scene instead. The background is contructed on a heavyweight fusible interfacing with random width blue strips - frayed edges and all. The strips are fused down and free-motion stitched with a few snips of tulle thrown in for good measure. It took a while to decide on fabric for the trees until I rememberd some neutral sky stuff I had. Turned sideways it was perfect! The stitched details added dimension to the trees. Novelty yarn made great falling leaves. More novelty yarn for the border. Finally, I hid beads and charms in the border. The diameter is 11" - the size of the pizza pan I used as a template.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ann

5 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

I love it. Looking between the big trees you can see miles away.
Betty Donahue

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Welcome to the blog, Ann

This is a lovely piece. The edging fibers and beading is a perfect touch. I especially like the touches of gold in the fibers and the leaves...it gives a nice zing to the piece as does the shimmery parts in the center foreground. Mixing the patterned fabric in there added alot of texture and interest too.

The only comment I have for you to consider is about the 2 trees in front. They are placed fairly evenly from the sides and are similiar in size and shape. Would it be improve the composition and interest if they were each placed differently and/or varied in size and shape. Just a thought...It's a lovely piece as is.

Oh, and I love your detail stitching on the trees...I thought it was the fabric until I clicked on the enlarge button. Good job!

I look forward to your next piece
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

Wonderful job! It's very relaxing and pleasing to look at. And the yellow keeps it from being too sleepy.

I absolutely love the way you finished the edge! The charms and beads are a very clever touch.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ann - Your birches are beautiful. I like the way you have chosen to show just the trunks of the trees. The scene looks like a snow-covered birch forest on a winter night.

Roberta

Jan said...

Beautiful piece! It gives the effect of a cold forest night somewhere in the north country. The colors are wonderful and you've created so much depth! Much better as is and not as a porthole with fish. Accidents do happen and this is a great one.
Jan