Saturday, December 02, 2006

Petroglyph



















I hope I got it finished in time. My source for this piece was a petroglyph - Kokopelli. I have used a variety of techniques. The base for each individual section is Fast2Fuse. I covered each piece, both back and front, with batik - a different colour for each layer. The base is a hexagon with each outer section stitched to the perimeter of the hexagon.

The outer section - 6 pieces - was covered with painted newspaper. I then stitched the word "petroglyph", which I did using the Pfaff 1475 which I programmed with the letters, all over each section. Once the stitching was complete I wet the painted newspaper and distressed it to make it rough. The outside edge has copper wire enclosed in satin stitch. The long ends have beads threaded into them.

The middle section - 3 pieces - was covered in a dark brown batik on top of which I added irridescent tissue paper which I free machine stitched in place. I couched some variegated ribbon on top and also applied some thicker threads in between the ribbon working upside down with the thicker thread in the bobbin. I couched some silk yarns around the edges using a zigzag stitch.

The inner section - 3 pieces - were covered in batik and then I applied painted Lutrador on top using free motion stitching and a variegated thread. I shaped copper wire into heart shapes and threaded some beads onto them and stitched them in place. I cut little rectangles of aluminium shim which I had painted with fabric paint mixed with Pearl-ex powders to which I added some Heat it up! embossing powder. I heated it with a heat gun. I stitched the copper using free motion stitching.

The centre of the piece is a kokopelli design which I took into Paintshop Pro and created the circular design. I printed off the design and traced it onto Romeo water soluble. I then free motion stitched the design using a glittery variegated thread in the needle with Bottom Line in the bobbin.

I haven't had time to think how I might hang this piece. Since it is fairly sturdy it shouldn't pose a problem but I would like something a little different to hang it with. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

brendaj said...

Carol,
Your work is truly amazing; I love the overall look and structure of the piece.

I need time to absorb your description of how you did all the separate techniques; (every time you post a piece I want to run out and buy a whole bunch of new stuff I've never heard of!)

Could you add some closer detail shots?
Always look forward to seeing your work.
Brenda

Jan said...

WOW! This piece is amazing! So much movement and excitement in such plain colors. It makes me think of an airplane propeller spinning. I, too, would like to see some closer pictures of parts of this amazing quilt.

Jan

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carol, This piece is full of interesting texture and I really like the subtle color changes in the layers as well as the elaborate center with it's symmetry and contrast.

Good job!
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

All your wonderful techniques really make your piece fun to look at and study. If you're up to making a couple more I think it would look amazing hanging on the wall in a group of three.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Carol - I am usually attracted to brighter colors or high contrast but I find this piece very appealing. The muted colors seem appropriate for the subject matter.

For some reason this quilt won't enlarge when I click on it - I would really like to see it in much more detail. You use so many interesting techniques and I'd like to see them better.

Roberta