Saturday, December 02, 2006

Sargeant's Art Quilt


15 x 18
Pieced cotton on flannel (UFO)
Triple stretch stitch in gold (faux embroidery)
Traditional binding
Velcro closures

My inspiration for this quilt was the cold snap we were having in Tucson, Arizona. While others will surely call us wimps, when the temperatures get below freezing we FREEZE! (Considering I spent more than 30 years in cold country I'm happy to be a wimp today!)

I had a piece of UFO fabric created several years ago in a jacket class. After creating a panel, I decided I didn't like the project so left the class but kept the panel tucked away in the bottom of a stash closet.

I've been experimenting with using my machine's triple stretch stitch to represent a faux embroidery stitch. This is a technique described by J. Michelle Watts during a Tucson Quilters Guild lecture. This isn't quite free motion as I used a clear applique foot and marked design lines. It did give me needed practice in manipulating the fabric.

The result is an interesting art quilt coat for my Miniature Pinscher, Sargeant TopGun!

Additional photos and information is available here.

While I was creating this challenge there was a discussion on QuiltArt commenting that people wouldn't be willing to pay art quilt prices for dog quilts+.
3. I beg to differ. I posted a photo on my favorite MinPin list. Within hours I'd received several inquiries about purchasing coats and one person was interesting in marketing my coat. I declined all offers, but I do believe it's entirely possible to sell small dog coats/art quilts for $100 per square foot (or more). Perhaps something for retirement income!

Your comments are most appreciated.

6 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

Great!! I bet your model really appreciates it on a cold, cold day.
Betty

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Joanna - Sargeant looks very dapper in his coat. You've managed to kill several birds with this UFO - you finished the challenge, moved something out of your UFO pile, tried a new embroidery stitch, kept your friend warm and started my day with a smile.

Roberta

brendaj said...

Very adorable, and the quilt looks great too (ha ha)!
Brenda

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joanna, Boy, this brought a smile to my face, too. Thanks for sharing your clever project.
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

I would have never though of a dog coat. It turned out great though. What a clever way to use up and finish a UFO.

Jax said...

This coat makes me think of Henry VIII ... it is very regal looking.What a great idea!

Jacque