Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Yellow Kind of Day


Based one of my daughters favorite books - My Many Colored Days - by Dr. Suess - first line - Some days are yellow.

I was going to do my piece on A Prayer to Owen Meany - my favorite book. I did a few sketches but didn't do it - so when this was finished with this piece I realized it was quite similar to the sketches I had done before. The radiating ball to suggest the spirit and the instrument of death - I guess I just needed a push on the colors.

The piece is composed entirely of scraps - the challenge was having enough value changes in yellow. Echo quilted then beaded for a little flair. Completed size 8 1/2 x 11

Thanks for the fun!
Lisa
In Sunny Seattle

5 comments:

Jan said...

It looks so warm and inviting. I love the colors that show depth and contrast to the land and sky. The sun's rays radiating out give the effect that it is indeed a yellow sort of day.
Great job!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a sunny happy piece! I feel sure Dr. Seuss himself would have loved it. You should hang it where you will see it first thing every day to start on a cheery note.

Cherie

laura west kong said...

I love yellow quilts! Superb job on the range of values you chose. Yellow is not the easiest fabric to find in the quilt store. The sun looks "very sunny" indeed. The rays are especially well done. They seem to vibrate like the aura I get right before a migrane. That might be a trick of the screen refresh rate and not totally from your quilt. (I hope a migrane is not coming on.) I also like the carefree feeling of the curvy, slanty strips.
laura

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Lisa - This quilt is a nice treat - full of life and positive energy. The touch of beads in the sun rays adds a nice zing. I like the feeling of depth you achieved through changing values. Thanks for sharing it.

Roberta

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Lisa, This is a wonderful little piece...good job! Monochromatic quilts need value contrast as well as pattern/texture contrast to work well...and you've accomplished both.

I look forward to seeing more of your work
Cynthia