Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blue Moon


A challenge that I managed to get done on time. I am so thrilled. As soon as I I started reading the challenge I knew what I wanted to do. I have been planning a moon (in fact several) for over a year, and this seemed the perfect time to get started. I feel my choice of song might be a little cheesy but who cares. I have really enjoyed working on this.

I used to be an Astrophysicist so images of moons and planets are pretty inspiring. They are all so different and beautiful. This has 4 shades of blue fabric to make the moon and a very dark blue as the background. My accent colour, if you can call it that, is the black binding. It doesn't show up too well in the picture but in real life it sets it off nicely. The quilting is done with three shades of thread. I love using the very fine thread on the longarm as I can change colour just by tying on and pulling the thread through, even through the needle!

There are bigger pictures on my blog if you want to see more detail.

6 comments:

Tina Marie Rey said...

wow Ferret - Just an astrophysist, huh? I wish I say " I was just a ....." About the piece - like all the work you do, it is stunning! I love what you do with color, and this just gives the perfect amount of depth and texture. Bravo Girl!

laura west kong said...

Tremendous job cutting out all those pieces! WOW! I wouldn't change a thing.

I enjoyed seeing how the same fabric looks used in different quilts. You could hang a small grouping consisting of many very different subjects and I'll bet they would look great together.
laura k

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I think this is the perfect interpretation of this challenge. Both in color and theme. What are the dimensions of this quilt? How I would love to see it in person!

Cherie

Deb Z said...

This is a marvelous piece. I find myself taken in by it and could just sit and contemplate it for a while.....much like I could stare at the moon for long periods of time. You have captured the mystery of the moon in this piece as well as the song. Congrats!

Monty Wilson said...

Wow! This is an amazing piece! Fantastic job!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ferret,
I can only add to the praise from the others...this is fantastic! Are you going to make an earth and other planets too? That could make a wonderful exhibit at your local library.
I look forward to seeing more of your work
Cynthia