Saturday, March 31, 2007

Cuatro



This is my entry for this month's challenge. I began with a variety of different fabrics from sheers to faux suade, drapery material to shimmery copper I don't know what it even is! I fused a lightweight interfacing to most of them, and then was able to treat them like regular fabrics.


The quilt is fairly large: 34 x 34 inches. I quilted it with a lot of different designs, as shown in the close up. You can see a picture of my original palate of fabrics and the blocks in progress on my blog if you are interested: www.enchanted-art.blogspot.com. This was so much fun. Recently I have discovered that I can use non-traditional fabrics and the quilt police won't come get me!
--Elizabeth in NM

5 comments:

Monty Wilson said...

Wel, I just love this piece! The colors, the quilting, the curves...altogether a very effective composition. It's hard to see from the photo what the fabrics are, but it works so well.

Sue Andrus said...

I like the way the cottons pulled the other fabrics together. I agree with Katie, I love the use of the quilting, and I bet this looks really different in person, the contrasts in textures, etc. must really add a lot to it.

And, thanks for the comment on Wisteria Window. Until this challenge, I had been colecting fun, different stuff, but not used much.

Wendy said...

This so reminds me of the work of Cara Gulati... I have a UFO from one of her classes using similar shapes. The flow and contours here are so striking! Great job.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Elizabeth, All the variety of fabrics along with your many quilting patterns make this piece very rich looking. The use of the large scale patterned fabric adds lots of interest, too. Love the color scheme...very New Mexico!

Cynthia

Linda Cline said...

I love your combination of color and pattern, and the way you have chosen a quilting pattern for each piece of fabric. The quilting police wouldn't dare to come after you or your quilt.