Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Fireworks


17 1/2"h x 22" w

Fabric that I've never used before -- my thoughts went immediately to a small collection of fabric samples, probably Korean imports, slinky with metallic patterns. I used some silver ironing board type fabric (see how good I am with fabric types?!) as a base, then realized that in order to make the fireworks look bright, I had to cut out the navy-colored sky material behind the swirly firework pieces. The firework pieces and the ones going up to the fireworks are very very thin and were hard to handle. I also used holographic metallic thread in my edging.

Not to hide behind technicalities, but this was a hard piece to photograph!

If I were to do anything further with this, I might add some fabric paint to tone down the stitching around the firework pieces.

4 comments:

Linda Cline said...

The light colored fabric in the center bottom looks like the ocean. Your quilt makes me think of wild roses on an ocean cliff.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi,
This reminds me of the Japanese woodcut prints with the moving ocean. Very oriental feel to this piece...I don't see fireworks either...it's all churning ocean and flowers (or maybe alien beings looking down upon earth from the sky!) I like the gold and blue, shiney color scheme. I wouldn't change anything

Cynthia

Tobi said...

The fireworks pieces in the sky are the parts that photographed the worst. It is very very thin gauzy stuff with metallic colors, backed by the ironing board material, and I think the rest of it all worked out better than that part.

brendaj said...

Hi Tobi,
This is a really intriguing piece; I love the composition and all of the fabric choices. Great job!
Brenda