Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's Not Easy Being Green

(from Kermit the Frog)
11 3/4" X 9 1/4"

I took some artistic license and stretched the green all the way from chartreuse to turquoise, then the accent color, orange, drifted from nearly red to yellow (the eye, below), plus the black and white to cover the extreme value on both ends. So in the end, I know the quilt is not truly monocromatic with a single accent color, but I really wanted that frog to have his turquoise belly and red-orange eye.



It was a challenge to find the right greens in my stash. Then consider that the label fabric (photo below) was actually from my stash, and you'll have some idea of how I'm lacking when it comes to useful fabrics. If I want to continue in this style, I now have a better idea of what to buy when I'm fabric shopping.




I'm still learning how to assemble these. I had similar problems with the threads quilt last month: the fusible pieces not quite lining up/fitting exactly like in the pattern, how much/little overlap to include, etc. I'm learning though, and will work it out one of these days.
The quilting/appliqué was done in one step with smoke invisible thread, and a small bit of black. The sparkle in the eye is a hot-fix crystal.

I'm not sure how I got away from my black and white prints. I used to put them in every quilt I made. You're sure to see more of them in my work in the months to come.

4 comments:

Deb Z said...

I think your frog is fabulously fun. I have been a frog fan for years. The borders you have chosen work really well for this challenge.....being about music and all. Your use of black and white (as non-colors in this challenge) gives this piece a real playful, feel that doesn't FEEL monochromatic and yet is.....unless youconsider black and white colors, that is! This frog has a definite personality and I would be happy to know him (having known MANY over the years!).

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh Laura, this is adorable! What a fun and lively quilt. The black and white elements definitely add to the piece even though it is not strictly speaking monochromatic. I love it!

Cherie

Tina Marie Rey said...

I too would have to say what a great frog this is - super piece, but the green and the yellow with the black and white are no longer monochrimatic, but the piece stands on its own merit. You did a great job Laura.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Laura, This is great! His expression seems to saying What are you looking at!!?. The things I like the most about this wonderful piece: the cropping with the frame, the slightly off center placement (borders slightly different widths), the analogous color scheme with the orange-red accents, and of course your masterful use of the black and white fabrics. What I don't like: NOTHING! (Can I have it please?)

Your work has a certain look and style that makes it recognizable as yours...the vibrant colors, b&w prints, and crispness. I'm enjoying some of the unpredictable elements you are incorporating (like the cropping and asymmetry)

Cynthia