Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rough Stuff: Storm



17 3/4" x 47 1/2" Made entirely from upholstery fabrics (1997)

I had been collecting small pieces of upholstery fabrics for a long time. Some of them came together in this quilt. They seemed to dictate to me where and how to use them. The clouds utilize both front and back of the fabric. It was machine appliqued and quilted. The mountains had two threads through the needle--first time of me to do this. It was also my first landscape.

This quilt belongs to my daughter and her husband in Georgia. I didn't have a photo. I called her this p.m. and asked her to do some quick photography. The pics are from her.

I still like the quilt!

4 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sally, yes, I like your 30 year old quilt very much! You were definitely ahead of your time! It has a calm, yet ominous feeling to it...very asian...like Mt Fuji.
Cynthia

Sally said...

Cynthia--It is TEN years old! I wasn't quilting 30 years ago.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Oh! I need glasses badly..,I thought it said 1977! Well, I hope I didn't insult you...you probably weren't even out of grade school 30 years ago!

Sally said...

Cynthia--No insult! In 1977 I had one child in grade school and the other in middle school! But I didn't start quilting until the early to mid 80's.