Saturday, March 03, 2007

Tangled Up in Blue- Bob Dylan




The left side is cut off a bit because I had to scan this in due to a broken camera . My second entry to this challenge. This one is all blue except for the couple who are done in black satin, and the little flowers in the border which are white.
When I hear this song and read the lyrics, I feel it is about a couple that keep trying to get together but something keeps them apart, they become tangled up in blue...that is why I have several blue strips across and around them and the one going right down the middle, blocking what might have been the kiss that finally allowed them to get together. I used various cotton fabrics, satins, thin blue ribbon, and across the man is a piece of dark blue velvet.
The couple is outlined in a zigzag stitch with blue variegated thread.

5 comments:

Deb Z said...

I like this piece and what it is to convey, and your explanation of the piece is really good. What if instead of using the straight pieces of blue for the "tangles" though, you used curved lines. It might convey tangling more emphatically than the straight pieces. When I first saw the piece the straight lines made me think "shattered", but that is simply NOT what you are saying. I also very much like how your blues come together in the piece....they seem to be true value variations and not simply a mish mash of blues. Looks like a lot of thought went into the chosing of the fabric colors.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I really love your sillouettes. They seem to convey deep emotion even without seeing the eyes. I agree with Deb about the lines suggesting shattered instead of tangled.What if you added a couple of narrow, curved strips to suggest a wrapped feeling?

Great fulfillment of the challenge..I love it!

Cherie

Tina Marie Rey said...

I have to say that the comments about the curved lines might be right... But besides that I think it is a great piece - the sillohette really pops! Super job!

laura west kong said...

Although curvy lines would convey tangling better, compositionally the straight lines are great because they're a nice contrast to the curves of the silhouettes. The way you used values from black to light-medium blue, avoiding the lightest values for the most part adds to the emotional quality you're trying to convey. Great job!
laura k

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cathy,
I think the lines are effective for the composition like Laura said, but also for indicating a troubled relationship or barriers in a relationship. The man seems to be pulling away slightly (I'm just sure it is all his fault!).
Good job...unique and well done!
Cynthia