Sunday, May 06, 2007

Chihuly Glass



12"x12"

Well, late again, but here is my challenge piece.

When Cynthia posted the challenge, I immediately knew which picture I wanted to use: this shot of a Chihuly glass installation at the Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus. I have been meaning to use this as an inspiration for a quilt because I love the way the shapes and colors all intertwine.

The sketching exercise was good, particularly the shading, because I did end up using one of the last ones I did, instead of what I would have chosen if I had just jumped in and started the quilt intuitively. I got a bit bogged down on the quilt itself, because as I started looking for fabrics I started reorganizing my batik drawers, and then I started cutting rectangles out for a "quick" scrap quilt for later....anyhoo, then I thought I was going to add big wide borders, and I cut them out, and then I decided I didn't want them, so now I will have to come up with another project for the big wide borders!

This was another great challenge. Thanks Cynthia!

3 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

I love it.
Betty Donahue

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Brenda, I love it, too. It brings to mind a carnival atmosphere. I think your color and value choices are wonderful. Have you quilted it yet? It would be fun to add some of the textures from the photo and maybe a bit of the shine with a touch of beading or metallic thread.

Great job!
Cynthia

brendaj said...

Thanks Betty and Cynthia.

I have quilted it already. If I were to do this over, I would quilt it before I add the spiky shapes; and I would add more of the texture in the round shapes; but of course I wasn't thinking that far ahead and didn't want to stop and start my quilting to skip over the darn spikes.

Thanks for the comments.

Brenda