Friday, June 01, 2007

Chains of Love



"Chains of Love Unbroken" was constructed to depict how I'm feeling right now. My mother is dying and I've been on a roller coaster ride the past 5 weeks dealing with this. I found chains in my husband's junkpile here on the farm and attempted (not as successfully as I'd hoped) to make prints of them on a solid piece of black sateen fabric. I stitched around the finished chains in wavering lines with varigated thread to depict the fact that love may waver sometimes but is always there through good and bad. I carried this out to the edge by cutting the borders in wavering lines and then simply zig-zagged around to finish the edges. I free-motion stitched using a varying size zig-zag stitch hearts all over the quilt to show the love I feel for her right now and all the good and bad times included.


Jan Johnson

3 comments:

Delta said...

The prints look very succesful to me. How did you print them?

Jan said...

I painted the chain with acrylic paint, laid the fabric on top, and pressed with my hands to achieve the print. Not as controlled as I would have liked.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan,
What a wonderful, meaningful piece you've done. Doing something about your mother at this difficult time can help both you and your mother. Did she get to see it?
Besides the meaningfulness of the piece, I really like the abstract quality of the chain prints. Very nicely laid out, balanced with alot of interest throughout.
Cynthia