Sunday, June 03, 2007

Satin Flower

Finished size: ~20" x 20"

This is made from silver-gray satin with a thick layer of batting so that when I thread-painted, it created depth automatically. For the flower, the thread-painting made it too flat, so I made strips of ruffles and hand-sewed them on, then I used Lumiere paint on the edges and on the leaves. And yes, it is not a real rectangle, the curve on the right is the way I chose to make it, or rather how it chose to be, and the left side also slants somewhat in. And at that, it is actually more rectangular than most of my recent work!

Using a single fabric is quite a change for me, since I usually take the patterns and pictures in the fabric to create the picture.

1 comment:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Toby, Some fun effects with the satin and thick batting...very unusual! I like the recessed look of the stem with the contrasting dimensional look of the flower. And your leaves are wonderful.
Cynthia