Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tokens

This was a great challenge. My first hit was washers, those round metal things with holes in them... from the hardware store. I spent $3.25 on those (but didn't use them all). Then I was off to Target for some stuff and saw bamboo skewers, $1 for 100. But I had them at home....

The background is a brown mottled fabric over batting. I started with yard woven sort of over/under the skewers, adding a washer when I felt like it. It took on a rather Asian character, the washers reminding me of Chinese coins.

Minimal quilting, just to hold the top two skewers and the ends of the rest of them (and yes, a Bernina's zigzag is wide enough to jump the skewer and not break the needle!). The back is just a facing, hand stitched in place. The sleeve is actually a space between the batting and backing, pretty clever, eh?

Critiques of course, are welcome. (And thanks, Marilyn, for brainstorming names!

Wendy in Flagstaff

4 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

What a neat idea. I really like things that are out of the ordinary.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, I love the washers! They really stand out against the fibers and dark background fabric. The arrangement of the washers is really effective....looks like a shower of coins...random, but unified.

Can you post the instructions for the sleeve treatment? It sounds very useful for smaller pieces.

I look forward to seeing more of your work

Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Wendy - your piece really does have an oriental flavor - sort of minimalist but with the glitz of shiny stuff. Nice combination.

It looks like you had fun with this challenge - you were certainly creative with your skewers and washers.

Roberta

Tina Marie Rey said...

Definately has an asian feel to it. I too used washers, on brown/black fabric also! But mine were very structured in their layout. It is very nicely done the way it looks random, and the other embellishments you have incorporated really enhances this piece. Great work.