Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Up the Lazy River


Since I don't have the energy to make a new one and Cherie and Ricky said to go for it - I am using the first one I made for Challenge #7 this month. After I got it finished a friend said "You should do something out of the ordinary so I put it aside and made something else.


The background was painted on Tyvek with various paints. The sand is covered with tea dyed cheese cloth and there is a layer of organza over the water.


I quilted the sky, mountains, sand, and water first which made a bubble out of the trees. To flatten it out a bit I cut across the trees and inserted some upholstery trim which I dyed green. When I pulled the bottom part up and sewed it to the trim I liked it better. To me, that made my painted trees look like a reflection in the water.


The bird, fish, and turtle were all in my stash of stuff and the rocks are from a broken necklace my kids gave me many years ago.


The size is 19-1/4" x 17-1/2".

4 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Betty, Hope you get well soon!
Fun piece with lots of unusual materials...good job!
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Betty - I like the way you have incorporated so many techniques into one piece and made them all work together. I especially like the purple mountains and the upholstery trim you inserted.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Roberta

Betty Donahue said...

Thank you, everyone.
Betty

Tina Marie Rey said...

There is nothing wrong with taking a previous piece and revamping it - Pamela Allen just did that with one of her pieces and it was accepted into a show! I enjoy what you have done with it! What fun! Good Job!