Saturday, August 04, 2007

challenge #11


My inspiration was a painting by Paul Klee called "1919", though some references also call it "1914". You can see the painting with this link: www.chess-theory.com/encprd03014_chess_practice_reflections_debates_arts.php

Klee had a wide variety of styles and you will see many of them at this website. I particularly liked "1919" because of its simplicity, use of a bold black outline as well as its child-like quality. My quilt is entirely fused but has yet to get a border.


Ann In Walnut, CA

3 comments:

brendaj said...

Hi Ann,

You did a great job interpreting that piece. I really like this; particularly the woodcut effect.

I don't think it needs a border; it looks great as it is.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ann, I wouldn't add a border, it's great how it is. Wonderful color and the outline of the shapes in black is so effective. This piece is simple yet somehow sophisticated...I think it is the color palette and layout of the shapes that keeps the child-like quality of the shapes from being childish. Love it!
Cynthia

Linda Cline said...

I like how you have taken a few shapes and colors from Klee's painting to make something truly your own.