Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pink House





This quilt might fall into a "cheater"...I started with a UFO. When we were on a cruise...while visiting Dominica.. I took a photo on a moving bus thru the window of the pink house. I found the pink leaves on another Island ..St Lucia..with the plan for a Architecture quilt. I enlarged the photo and printed 4 parts on 8 1/2x 11 fabric sheets and sewed the parts together. And added the pink borders...pressed and my steam iron dripped water spots on the printed house.....so into the UFO pile it went..... With the announcement of Architecure... a rescue plan came with crayons and shiva paint sticks and quilting with different colors of verigated threads. I'm late posting as I did not have my photo or my statement ready before we went out of town for a few days...

3 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Janice,

I "cheated" with an UFO on one challenge last year, too...and no one complained!

This is a lovely piece! Love the colors and the "soft" look of the house. What if the border were smaller? Those lovely pink leaves are stronger looking than the house and may be competing for attention. Actually I like your cropped view very much...it really brings the house to the forefront and gives it an artsy off center view with 2 uneven borders. What if you actually cropped your piece like that?

Love the quilting lines on the wall in front of the house.

I'm glad you're back this year...looking forward to seeing more from you.
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Janice - What a cool house (and I don't even like pink). I think it is great when you can take a failure and turn it into a success - I certainly can't tell where you've doctored the photo with the paints.

Like Cynthia I can see some excellent possibilities for enhancing the piece with some cropping. The border is so vibrant in contrast with the pale house that it wants to take over. If you have a photo editing program you can crop away and see if there is some other width or border arrangement that might please you. (I use Picasa from Yahoo 'cause its free!)

Roberta

Carole said...

I love pink houses and this is nice. I took a picture of a pink housein Palm Springs, Ca. and thought it would/could be my dream home.
I like that what you have done is solidify a memory... by more than a picture.
I, too, think the border, albeit very pretty, is overpowering the delicacy of the house. Yes, try cropping and see what happens.
Carole