Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Challenge #14 Brenda Jennings (9"x11.5")


I had several ideas for this challenge, but many of them seemed too overwhelming to get done in a week LOL. I finally chose to do a somewhat abstract version of seaweed moving in an underwater current.

The seaweed is fused applique. The embellishment is angelina which I tried to make as thin as possible (it is still a bit too heavy in a couple of spots). The whole thing is overlayed with a blue tulle and then machine quilted with Sulky rayon thread. I thought about adding some beading (for bubbles), but I want it to be more abstract than try to make it a realistic sea scene.

The hardest part was trying to get a good photograph without the angelina taking over the photo! On my third setup, I shot it with (natural) light from the side.

8 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Very nice Brenda. You certainly have captured the movement of seaweed under water.
I really like the 'plainess' of your piece, it speaks loud and clear.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Brenda - You have done a great job showing the movement of the seaweed in the water. The bits of angelina add a lot of depth to the piece - looks like sunlight coming through the water. The quilting adds a nice dimension too.

Roberta

Ann Morrell said...

I think that the background piece of fabric gives the effect of bubbles in the water...I like that.

Betty Donahue said...

Hi Brenda--
I can actually see the seaweed swaying in the water.
Betty

Carole said...

Brenda this is calming. Looking at your piece is like looking through a glass bottomed boat. Nicely captured, the movement, the sense and serenity.
Well done.
Carole

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Brenda, wonderful calm swaying movement in this piece...good job! I really like the effect you got in the background. The slightly darker green fabric adds variety and interest...what if you had used more range of values in the seaweed with some darks and lights?
This piece makes me want to go on a scuba diving trip!
Cynthia

LAQuilts said...

I would love to see this one in person. It actually looks wet.

anna k. said...

The water actually looks wet. Great work.