Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Challenge 14 - Down the Tube quilt


This was really a Challenge for me. I had big plans of showing a surfer racing down a wave, but plans sometimes don't work out so well. I took a photo of a wave and played with it on the computer. I made the photo sepia tones, then added the effects of contours and thought I had a really cool start to this challenge. When I started translating it all into a fabric composition, I lost the wave effect and tried to salvage the work I had done so far. I was hoping that the quilting would restore the wave look, but alas the composition is now called "Down the Tube" instead of "Catch a Wave". I tried to think of some embellishment that would enhance this quilt, and would welcome any suggestions you may have. I hate to think that I will have to cut this up and turn it all into postcards. Help!. Joni

6 comments:

Carole said...

Joni, I really like this one. I would have stayed with the Wave rather than Tube. In fact when I looked at it I first thought 'Hang Ten"... on a close up I see the waves ready to break, see the surf boards [hearts] one behind the other and the flying foam and they roll. I like it a lot. Nice job!
Carole

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Joni, I think you have done a very good job of showing the movement of the wave. the lines lead the eye, it is wonderful.

Joni said...

Thank you Carole and Rhoda for your kind and encouraging comments. I did have fun making this quilt and learned alot in the process.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Joni -Your piece is full of movement and it seems like a big wave to me. The color changes give a good feeling of depth to the wave and your quilting lines add depth and movement. Don't be too hasty about turning it into postcards!

Roberta

anna k. said...

This piece is not for postcards.
I do like your colour choices and you direct the eye where you want it to go.
Great work.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, I wouldn't turn this into postcards either....it makes an effective abstract even if the viewer may or may not see the wave. There's movement in the diagonal curve of the wave and the background elements as well as the quilting lines and couched fiber.

I wouldn't change anything at this point, but had a thought to pass on. What if there were more variety in the fabric...both in number of fabrics and pattern in the fabric? Would it add to the interest and movement to have less solid-looking fabrics in the wave?

I look forward to seeing more of your work
Cynthia