Monday, October 29, 2007

Challenge #14 - Rhoda



I have finished Challenge #14.
Well not totally, the binding is pinned in place in the picture.

At first I was going to do dancers. While having my morning coffee I noted a magpie trying to land on a tree...fierce winds have been blowing up here.

So, the magpie was the inspiration and wind is the movement.

I chose black and white fabric, because the magpie is black and white, and I have lots of this fabric which I don't seem to use. As I was working on the piece I was thinking of the fires in CA and the Santa Ana winds...decided to include some gold and red to symbolize the fires.

The tree is done with puff paint, I used raw edge appliqué for the bird, leaves etc. The quilting (the wing) was done with Sulky holoshimmer.

I look forward to your comments on my effort.

13 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Rhoda...
I think your magpie is adorable! It has so much personality and really looks as if its pushing against that wind.

Great job...
Cherie

Ann Morrell said...

Love the little wind blown bird...can't get over how fast you guys are...I just finished the background and haven't even bugun my embellishments.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Rhoda - love the magpie in the wind. I particularly like the way you show him (her?) leaning into the wind. The leaves and quilting add even more movement and the yellow and red triangles seem to ground the piece. Nice work.

Roberta

Joni said...

Hi Rhoda,
Such a brave little magpie facing a forceful wind. You really achieved the motion on this one. Great job!

Carole said...

Rhoda, I LOVE this little guy, I see him as a chicken on a surf board!! Lots of personality, and hanging right on!!
Well done.
Carole

Betty Donahue said...

Hi Rhoda--
Your magpie is adorable. I hope the wind doesn't blow him away.
Betty

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I am thrilled that I have instilled the feeling of movement. Chicken on a surfboard? Now that sounds like a new quilt, thanks everyone.

brendaj said...

Hi Rhoda,
Great job creating the movement of the wind. I also like the way the little pieced triangles add to the movement of the whole thing.
Brenda

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Thanks Brenda, I hadn't thought of the triangles as movement, but you are correct they do add movement.

I had thought of them more as 'fire' color :)

Jan said...

The Magpie looks just like birds do when fighting some of those horrid winds like winds like we've had here this past week. Great, comical job!

anna k. said...

I love the humour in this piece.
Great movement achieved, that little magpie is really trying to stay upright.
Anna

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Rhoda,
Great movement with the bird's feathers and the swirling leaves and quilting lines for the wind. I like how you used your prints together...adds alot of interest.
Good job! I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cynthia

LAQuilts said...

Very good capture of the wind. I really like how you framed it with some traditional piecing.