Thursday, October 04, 2007

Happy Childhood Summer Home


The first image that popped into my head was the tent that my family camped in when I was a small child. Such good memories and when we weren't travelling, our parents let us pitch the tent in the backyard and my brother and I spent a good deal of the summer there. Architecture? Well, it was our summer home anyway. :)

The quilt is about 9" x 10-1/2", hand appliqueed, hand embroidered, hand quilted - and some of the embroidery was added after layering so it works as quilting as well. Lately, I've been feeling confined by my usual tedious approach so I tried to be very loose and free with this and it was a lot of fun.


Also, I read the recommended essay on depth and realized I always work with a light foreground working back to a dark background. It just seems to happen. So, this time, I tried to do the opposite. Dark foreground fading into the background. Not sure if I succeeded but it was fun. I think that I may do some more small pieces in the same free spirit. It was very liberating.
Cheryl


8 comments:

Carole said...

Cheryl, what fun you must have had!! Both as a child and doing this piece. The shading sure does help with depth, and you made it work. It looks like the sun up behind you and a new day to begin... fun, fun, fun.
Carole

Unknown said...

fun fun fun! love the colors and the childlike quality, and I can definitely tell which way the sun is coming from, great job!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cheryl - what a jolly place! Your use of color tells me everyone is having fun. And it does a great job of providing depth to your work. I especially like that little piece where the opening to the tent is folded back. And the use of the three fabrics on the smallest tree.

Roberta

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Cheryl, Great job! I love the idea of a tent as architecture and you have certainly created a sense of depth within the piece.
Kathy L

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I love this piece! It's such fun and must have been just that as a child. My grandchildren just went "camping" in their backyard and they had a ball.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a neat idea to do a tent! My brain just doesnt go there...darn! I adore your little girls...so much personality!
Cherie

brendaj said...

Cheryl,
Great job capturing the youthful excitement of sleeping out in the yard in a tent. The kids remind me of the kids in the Clifford books. Love it!
Brenda

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cheryl
Good use of prints and mottled fabrics...adds lots of interest and variety. I also like the playfulness of the piece and how you brought part of the picture into the border. I think your experimentation with the values in the background worked fine. I guess just a bit more value contrast between the last tree and the sky might work better. One suggestion...the blue eyes of the blond girl don't show up well...maybe a little eyeliner? ;)

I can tell you are a children's book illustrator...you really know how to capture the fun.

Glad you're with us! I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cynthia