Saturday, October 06, 2007

The House That Booke Built



This was the hardest challenge for me as yet! It litteraly took me the full week working all day every day to get it done.


The house is the home my mother in law was born in, and her father who was always just called "Booke" (last name) built the house in 1905. My husband and I went to see it in Utah a few years ago and took this picture. His Mom said it has hardly changed at all in all these years.


The house is fused raw edged applique. The large trees' trunk is painted with expanda paint, puffed with a hot gun then painted. The leaves are created with fabric "confetti" of cotton and organzas, then quilted down with very fine black tulle.

The bushes and orange tree are wool roving, stitched with perle cotton, or machine quilted. The cypress tree is rusched netting.


I hope I fulfilled the assignment of depth.


Comments and critiques are gratefully accepted as usual!


Cherie

8 comments:

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Cherie,
I love your interpretation. It actually took me a minute to figure out which was the photograph and which the fabric piece. I especially like your treatment of the big tree and would love to see a close up.
Kathy L

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cherie, I think you have captured the feeling of the original photograph really well. I also think you succeeded in creating depth by showing layers - the tree in front of the house, the porch column in front of the bush and what looks like a plowed field seen at a distance.

The tree in front of the house is so well done - I will try your technique.

Thanks for sharing the story about the house. I know your mother-in-law will be so pleased to have this quilt.

Roberta

Jess said...

I really like this -- especially the tree and the ground. I wonder if you could get some more dimension on that bay window by shading a little bit with paint on the right side, where the shadow is in the picture. You have the gradiation at the foundation, but perhaps if it moved up the wall a bit it would pop out of the flat plane a little more.

Carole said...

Cherie, so well done! This is the first time I have seen expandapaint 'in action'... I have some but have not used it yet. Will now. Thank you for sharing and completing the Challenge. I also like the tory of the house. It is 'real'... like mine... from Portland, Ore.
Carole

Ann Morrell said...

The tree trunk really caught my attention also all of the detail in the yard....

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Thanks all for your comments. I agree that the bay window needs help. I re-did the shadow on the right side window (as you look at it) 3 times...too dark the first 2 times. I ended useing two layers of ivory organza fused together and it seems to work in person, but really doesn't show in the picture. I think I will try some paint or watercolor pencil to intensify.
Cherie

brendaj said...

Hi Cherie,
You did a great job on all of the detailing; it really adds dimension to the piece. I agree that the window needs something; Maybe simply outlining it with stitching in a dark gray to pop the individual sections out a bit? Love the tree!
Brenda

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cherie,
Another wonderfully embellished piece by our Cherie from Del Mar! The tree is fabulous and all those wonderful time-consuming details add depth and interest.

Just a couple thoughts: how about some quilting in the sky? And some deeper and more shadows around the house?

Glad you're here for the second year!
Cynthia