Thursday, October 11, 2007

Gothic Arches


I really enjoyed this challenge, because I felt right at home. I used to be an architectural designer before I retired, and it was a comfortable subject for me. The vaulted ceiling is of the Notre Dame Cathedral, and it was fun to put non traditional colors to liven up the subject matter. I made a template for each section of the quilt with freezer paper, and then fused the various sections to the background. All the pieces were satin stitched as a way of quilting, and black quilting lines added to the texture and sense of depth. I had to resort to penciling in a little bit of shading to get the look I wanted, but the whole process was enjoyable. I look forward to our next challenge. I have also enjoyed seeing the large variety of quilts on this topic. They all are wonderful! Any comments or critiques would be most welcome. Joni

5 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

Very pretty. I love the bright colors.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni,
I am drawn to the clean lines of this piece as well as the mottled colors and shading. I'm glad you used your artistic license with the colors...that makes it sing.

Perfectly wonderful binding, too.

The size of the piece looks like a golden rectangle...is it? It's very aesthetically pleasing and shows off the expansiveness of the ceiling.

I'm glad you're with us...will be looking for more of your work!
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Joni - I like the way your colors play off each other and the lovely curves of the vaulted ceiling. The shadowing as well as the placement of some parts of the work in front of others has resulted in a nice feeling of depth. Congratulations on such a successful and beautiful work. What are its dimensions?

Roberta

Joni said...

Thank you Cynthia, Roberta and Betty for commenting on my quilt. The quilt dimensions are 10 1/2 x 16 which is really close to the golden retangle, but to be honest it wasn't planned that way - the driving force for size was the fact the the largest size my printer can print is 11x17 - what luck that it is close to the pleasing form of the golden ratio. Thankyou for the encouraging comments. Joni

anna k. said...

Great piece Joni.
It appeals to me immensely..there is peace and serenity in this work.
Pleasing in many ways,
Anna