Wednesday, October 03, 2007

If These Walls Could Talk.... Ann Morrell

Here is my first challenge. I had lots of fun doing it. I used a technique that I had been wanting to do for awhile. I took two photos, merged them together, turn them into a painting, printed it out on cloth and then thread painted it. I also used my Embellisher and watercolor crayons.




I live in a small little beach community called Grayton Beach. I use to come here as a child, and was lucky enough to return after retiring and make my home here. Our community is made up of million dollar beach homes, and smaller beach cabins that have been here for years. My beach "shack" actually exists and has been here for over 87 years. It just got a new tin roof. It is not on the beach so I "picked it up" and moved it over to a sand dune over looking our beautiful beach to make my piece. Can you imagine the stories this house could tell if the walls could talk.


Here are the two photos that were merged for my piece.

9 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ann,
This is a lovely piece. It makes me want to come visit your beach! I couldn't get the photo to enlarge, so couldn't look at your thread painting and embellisher up close (maybe the photo was sized small to start with?)...but I can say it is very effective in the whole view. Love the steps and grasses especially. I wouldn't change a thing.
Cynthia

Carole said...

Ann, so nice!! I can smell the water, feel the light breeze.
Very well done, and your first challenge, Congrats!!
Carole

Unknown said...

I NEED to go there! Just looking at this soothes my soul...EXCELLENT!

Jan said...

Great house! I'd rather live in something like this than one of those mansions you mentioned. It's more 'homey'. Sounds like you could have a lot of company if you're not careful!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ann - What a great job you've done with this challenge. This beach cabin is the sort of place we all want to go. There is something so inviting about that deep pink door. You have created so much depth with your shadows - I particularly like the dark space under the porch as well as the shadows from the porch railing. Wish I was there digging my toes into the sand.

Roberta

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Ann,
I truly love the feel of this piece. YOu did an awesome job of cropping and picking just the right perspective. I want to reach out and touch your grasses!
Kathy L

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I also live near the beach and there's a small community nearby that has houses just like this - you really captured the essence of being near the beach.

I like how you used the thread painting to enhance the photo. Was it difficult stitching through it?

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I can only agree with all that has been said, and say that I truly love this piece and would be proud to hang it in my home!
Cherie

brendaj said...

Kudos, what a great job!
Brenda