Wednesday, October 31, 2007

ren's Solar Wind


When the challenge was first announced, I saw this image in my mind's eye. And it's taken me days and days to execute it. The movement part was fairly easy to put down. The embellishments—which are not finished; nor is the piece itself—were to be things that I hadn't done before. I explored different stitches on my machine and then used a couching/beading foot to put the strings of beads down. And I did that using invisible thread. Whew! That stuff is really, really invisible, both the clear and the smoke. Now, I need to decide what, if anything, I want to do with the blues. And, of course, I need to finish the piece. I'm thinking of doing a pillowcase finish with fuseable web to secure all the threads on the back. Any suggestions are welcome.

5 comments:

Ann Morrell said...

I love your piece...I really love the beading you did with your beading foot....maybe at a later time you could explain this technique...I hate trying to sew one bead at a time...and they never line up like I want. Your choice of background fabric is perfect.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ren - This piece grabs me - it has such a sense of movement and the contrast of the blues and yellow/oranges adds just the right spice. It sounds as if it took a while to translate your idea into fabric but you've done a great job.

Roberta

Carole said...

Those beads really work on this, don't they. [I think I need a beading foot, I hate doing them all by hand]. That movement is what we have come to expect from a solar flare, thanks to hi-tec pictures from space. With the dark side contrasting with the light side, it is almost like an eclipse happening. Was that your intent?
A great piece and your background really enhances the overall.
Carole

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Ren your solar wind has so much movement, right down to the background fabric. I like it!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ren, I like your piece..very powerful with the sharpness of the rays and the wind direction. I feel like I'm being blasted with the burning sun and the strong wind!
Cynthia