Sunday, October 28, 2007

Witch Creek Fire


As the world knows, San Diego was blasted with Santa Ana winds and consequently fires raging out of control. Hundreds of thousands of us were evacuated from our homes...I was one of the lucky ones, able to return home in just two days, however many were not so lucky. Some of my friends lost everything to the flames. This little quilt is dedicated to them.


I tried to convey the awful fury of the windswept flames using various metalics, angelina, roving (including silk) and copper dust mica to replicate the flying embers. I used thread painting for the brush, bushes and grasses. The flames were stitched with holoshimmer gold, and the wavy lines in the smoke were hand stitched using a mohair yarn.

I padded and wrapped the mat using black nylon and will frame it.

As always, I welcome and appreciate any and all critiques and comments.

Cherie

9 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Cherie, you have certainly captured the dymamics of a wild fire. Great job. I really like the mica chips...they look like real sparks.
I hope the healing starts soon for everyone involved.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cherie - you've done a great job capturing the hellish aspect of fire. And you've certainly succeeded in depicting movement. I am so happy that you escaped with your life and your home. And all your quilts....

Roberta

Betty Donahue said...

Hi Cherie--
You really captured the essence of the fire. Wonderful job.
Betty

brendaj said...

Hi Cherie,
Very powerful piece. Excellent job on creating movement and emotion as well.
Brenda

Jan said...

I love it! It brings out the fear we have for my niece and others when they're out fighting those fires. She has described some to me and I got a cold chill thinking of her being one in your picture.

Carole said...

Wonderful, Cherie!
I watched those fires on the internet news, and it was a ghastlty time. Those winds were something else, and you have captured more than movement. You also captured emotion. If we ever get that as a challenge, you've already done it.
I especially like the flames/heat you brought out into the border. It was the right thing to do for this piece.
Well done!
Carole

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cheri,
I'm glad you are OK and sorry for your friends losses. That was terrifying for alot of people. Your piece depicts the moving fire and wind so well with the flying embers and the diagonal direction of the flame elements and the quilting lines. The smoky effect in the background really adds to the piece. I wouldn't change anything on the piece now...but have just a couple thoughts.

Is the figure on the left a firefighter or an observer? What if his posture was a bit more dynamic rather than relaxed? Would that add more drama? I like how the woman figure is depicted...there's a sense of awe and defeat in her posture

Regarding the flame element that comes off the quilt...what if it were more pointed rather than rounded? What if it were more substantial instead of wispy?

As usual, you've done a wonderful job with the colors and contrasts, both values and textures. Great job!
Cynthia

LAQuilts said...

Wow - you really captured the movement of the fires. Very well down. I really like the embers.

anna k. said...

Hi Cherie,
You've produced yet another very fine piece of work.
The mica works fantastically for the embers...so well done.