Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hangers On


Scale and porportion..It trully was a Challenge. Most of us really know what that means but when used in 'artistic jargon' we tend to second guess ourselves. Me, too!!
Anyway, with a needle and thread, and my Embellisher I set out to accomplish that which I wasn't sure I could do. Why is no one surprised I used leaves for this? The only thing I brought with me on this trip in the way of something to work with was this leaf imprint. [It would have had to work no matter what the theme!!].
I had a lot of fun shopping for the 'ingredients' and this is what I came up with.

I started with black felt, layered some cheesecloth and texturized with the felting needles.Then I layered some Fun Fur yarn to resemble branches on a HUGE tree. I hand
stitched in a large stitch to mark out the branch lines. Then I felted again. One the leaf, [check the 6th picture in the Misc. photo album] I colored with Prismacolor pencils where the copper paint didn't fill in. Then I added sparkle tulle and felted like crazy to a white felt. I cut it out, hand stitched down the center and texturized the veins with the felting needles, then went around the edge to secure. I hand sewed the smaller leaves and beads on. The top piece of fabric is felted on as well.
It is my intent to leave the fraying parts beyond the felt when I can properly finish it.
I heard there was a new snowfall overnight where I live, so hence the white and those few leaves that 'hang on'. It measures about 8 x 7 or so.

Looking forward to your comments.

4 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Carole - I had a hard time with this challenge even though I was home and had all my fabrics and supplies. But you managed to use your leaf and bits and pieces and succeed at the challenge. Bravo!

I really like the name of your piece too.

Roberta

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

It is truly amazing what you have done with such a few supplies. I really like your piece and feel that you have achieved a good deal of scale and proportion in it.

anna k. said...

Carole,
A great exercise in using what you had so very effectively. Well done.
Anna.

Betty Donahue said...

Yours is so pretty.
Betty