Friday, November 02, 2007

Storm watch


What fun, I really had to think when the Challenge was posted. Waterand wind kept coming to my mind. So, this is what I ended up with. Ihope I captured the essence of the challenge. I did use embellishmntsto help move the eye around the piece.Thank you for thinking of this as a challenge.


I used a lot of teqniques and embellishments in this piece.

I used my embellisher to texturize the water. Then with cellophane, tyvek, sparkle paint, angelina [from the sheets] ,paint, cotton balls, tuille, hand dyed and painted fabric, it all came together.The water started as a shimmer polyester. Hot fix embellishments and quilting lines move the eye around the piece as we" watch the storm"coming in.


I did something I had never done before and that was to fuse the pieces that make the four wind'y blocks on the left side. I always wanted o do this. But, I wouldn't again. Much easier to piece, even if it was by hand.


I look forward to your comments

4 comments:

Ann Morrell said...

Fusing seems so much easier than piecing too me...so admire you for leaning toward piecing. I really like your movement...I see the wind and the water movement... really liked your piece.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I really like this one, you can feel the storm, the rain coming down the movement of the waves, very well done in my opinion!

Betty Donahue said...

I love it. I can see the rain coming down from that dark rain cloud.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carole, this piece is very imaginative and just full of interest! And it definitely fulfills the movement aspect with the diagonal lines of the rain, curved lines of the sea and rocks, and the swirl of beads through the blocks. Good job with the quilting lines too...very effective. I love it when people combine a traditional type block or element with an art quilt...this was a great idea and very well executed!
Cynthia