Thursday, November 01, 2007

Eddy





This is my attempt at showing movement. I began with a piece of hand dyed fabric from Alice Cruz, Della Jane Hand Dyes. The gold lines are Radiance, Copper, "Frize" type yarn. I used my new free-motion couching foot to apply the curvy lines. Then I quilted in gold within the lines, and green outside. This is hard to see. The leaves are real oak leaves that I collected from Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, KY last week. I used Heat 'n Bond Lite and fused them to the quilt.
Then I looked at all your other quilts. Wow! I should have quilted echo lines, which would have emphasized the movement. and, I fused the leaves too close to the edge and they are caught in the binding.

5 comments:

Ann Morrell said...

Isn't that couching foot great? I like that you used real leaves..never thought about fusing a real leaf. It might have been fun if a few of the leaves had extended into the binding. Another great foot for echo quilting is the leather foot with the roller...I use that all the time for echo quilting.

Carole said...

What a great idea... fusing real leaves.
Something on the sides extending perhaps onto the binding or even beyond might be fun.
Well done, I have learned something from you.Thank you for sharing.
Carole

Monty Wilson said...

Wish I'd thought of not sewing the leaves down into the binding. They would be much better extending out. There's always a better way to do it.....next time!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Katie, I love the smooth curves you achieved with your couching foot - great "leaf falling" action. I will be interested to hear a report in a few months reagrding how well the oak leaves held up over time.
Kathy

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Beautiful effect , the leaves appear to be falling so naturally and the couched lines add to the movement.