Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Two Moons in My Window - November Challenge


What a challenge! I've done so many realistic landscapes that I really didn't want to do anything that I've done before.... so on the night of the full moon, I glanced out my kitchen window. The moon was rising in all her fullness over the roof line of my neighbor's home. I saw an interesting play going on as I also saw the driftwood and obsidian wind chime that hangs above the window. It was one of those images that stuck in my head. So I took a pix of it the next day, and then played with the image in a editing program until I got a fun image that resembled a charcoal sketch... and then the true inspiration came... it's all thread painted on muslin. No piecing, no applique, just 5 hours of thread painting, which I finally completed last night. Whew. Threads used include wool, rayon, cotton, and I tried to use a variety of patterns to add texture. I think the sky is a bit bright, altho I was trying to go for a night sky rather than a pale one. And I could have layered the greens more to show the mountains in the distance.
I think I'm going to mount it on stretcher bars rather than bind it.... could be a nice addition to the house!
Critiques of course are welcome!
Wendy in Flagstaff

6 comments:

anna k. said...

Wendy,
a lot of great thread painting in the quilt. I like the image that you have portrayed.
Anna.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wendy, the thread painting is wonderful! You have captured scale and the play on the two moons is great.

LAQuilts said...

Wow - really great thread work - I do like the two moons.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

Reminds me of Van Gogh's Starry Night with all the swirling colors in the sky. Great job with the thread painting.
Kathy Angel Lee

Carole said...

Wendy, twice I have tried to post, so here goes again. I can't remember what I said the last two times exactly, but I do know this is a different take for you, isn't?? Or am I just thinking of how you turned a daisy into a lotus?
You did a great job on the thread work. I really like thread work, does things I can't get done any other way sometimes.
Good job.... 2 moons, great!
Carole

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Wendy - great job with the thread. I really like the proportion of the plant and the inside moon to the moon in the sky. A successful answer to the challenge!

Roberta