Thursday, July 03, 2008

Altered Shoo Fly

This is my pieced but not yet quilted entry to this month's challenge. This is the type of quilt I love to make - a one of a kind piece that shows its strong traditional roots. The problem is that these types of quilts have a hard time fitting in anywhere - they are too unusual for traditional yet too traditional to be called an art quilt.
I took special care to make the points sharp and the corners meet on this top and they behaved pretty well for me. So well, in fact, that I want to take my time quilting it so it can be entered into a show or two. I started with a very basic Shoo Fly block (called by at least a dozen other names, depending on where you're from). I drew it out in Adobe Illustrator and then reduced the components of the opposite corners by 50%. I then extended some of the lines to fill in the resulting empty spaces and then added extra squares here and there to balance. I made four identical 12" blocks which I sewed together and then added two rather tricky pieced borders to the resulting 24" square.
I would like to hear some feedback on any quilting ideas viewers might have - either hand or machine, and I would like to hear your opinion on whether you think this piece should hang square or on point.
Thanks for your help!

5 comments:

Joni said...

Kathy,

Great job on the points, your traditional background is shining through on this one. I like the idea of hanging it on point. You might consider adding some applique if you want the quilt to have more of an Art Quilt impact. It's beautiful just as it is. Joni

Carole said...

Beautiful piecework Kathy!! What you have accomplished in this altered Shoo Fly block is no easy task. Getting your border on the way you did gives you an A+.
I like the 3 little 'tabs' you have placed strategically on the piece as well. The alterations you made to the block disguise it from its easily recognizable form and add definite interest overall.
On point or not? My personal opinion would be to have it square, acknowledging the traditional feel, depending alot tho' on how you decide to quilt it.

A thought regarding quilting could be a medallion type of design [ by machine] or if you are inclined to do it by hand, the 1/4" echo on all the seams is always so effective, giving it a sense of 'heirloom'. Another thought, use a backing fabric that has an ey to follow free motion design in it and quilt from the back.

Well done! I hope we see it finished!
Carole

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Kathy, I really like your contemporary version of the shoofly block. The complementary color scheme is wonderful and the added touch of the 3 squares on the borders is a plus. Did you consider making those little squares irregular, either in size, shape or placement? I think it would add more movement and something unexpected. You could still add with applique some odd little squares scattered around.
One quilting idea: create some dimensional layers with different quilting densities - trapunto the gold squares and do minimal or no quilting on them, light quilting in the yellow, then medium in the floral fabric, and heavy quilting on the dark purple.

Good job, Kathy
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Very crisp, graphic design. I like the strong contrast you achieved in both value and color.
The three little squares in the border area are an interesting element.
I am not one of the quilting gurus of this group! I would likely stitch in the ditch : )
Penny Irwin

Monty Wilson said...

This is a really interesting quilt - you changed enough that I didn't know it was a Shoofly. I like the symmetry - but I'm kind of a traditional gal, too. I like it very much, with the dark and light yellows and the dark and light purples. The little squares in the border adds a bit of whimsy.