Thursday, July 03, 2008

Chocolate Raspberry Swirl


This was kind of fun - I had put together a bunch of fabric to do a wonky nine patch - but decided I couldn't finish it time since I was going to do a twin size quilt.

Rethinking - I decided on a wonky snail's tail. I made it out of pink and brown - cut it into a circle, inset it and added some borders. I quilted as a swirl and decided it needed a little pop. So I then proceeded to bead the snail's tail with pink beads for a little more emphasis on the swirl. Finished size 18 1/2 x 19 1/2.

Lisa
In Sunny Seattle

4 comments:

Carole said...

Excellent Lisa!! A new 'twist' to an old time fanvorite [ pun intended]!
Your choice of colors is 'delicious', enhanced I am sure by the name of your piece. The only thing I can see where this could move from excellent to superb might be in using a shiny fabric [my fav is silk... but one of those lucious, drapey polyesters would be great] where you are using what appears to me to be an animal print? Maybe in an even lighter color than what you have already used?
My personal opinion only......... and it is yummy! As it is!!
Great quilting choice.
Carole

Monty Wilson said...

I like your snail's tail. There is so much movement, it reminds me of last night's fireworks in the driveway - that ball seems to be taking off and spinning up from the ground. What fun!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Lisa, Snails tail always looks like a yin yang symbol to me....and yours especially does. I like how you rounded the design and then emphasized it with the quilting lines and beading. It's nicely balanced too by the low crossed strips and the small pink rectangle on the upper left.
The only thing I would consider changing if redoing this....are the mix of brown fabrics. There's some cool browns but most of them are warm browns. I think the cool browns contrast more pleasingly with the hot raspberry (like dark chocolate with raspberry!).

Great job! I also like the peppermint swirl effect of the binding.
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Nifty quilt! This design draws me in to take a closer look. I like the bright pink and brown together and the contrasting threads or beads you used to quilt the main block and the surrounding area.
Penny Irwin