Friday, July 04, 2008

Jacob's Ladder by Penny Irwin


9.5 " X 11.5"

The quilt block's perspective was skewed in an attempt to make the right side appear to recede. The actual colors are somewhat brighter than they appear in this scan. I used brighter, darker cuts of fabric on the left or "near" side of the block; paler cuts on the right or receding side. I used the "wrong" side of the tan, background fabric on the right.

The double frame is also stretched and skewed.
The vanishing point for both the block and frame was outside the design. I just made dots on the table top.

4 comments:

Betty Donahue said...

I just had to look in my block dictionary to see what a Jacob's ladder looks like.
Yours is much more interesting.

Carole said...

PennySue..... this is an interesting block. I keep coming back to it to study the dark and light fabrics... so subtle, and I like the idea that your vanishing point is 'off the block'.
I keep picturing this in larger piece, say 24" and maybe some chess pieces...........maybe even turning it so the short side is down...... just think it is a cool block!

Carole

Monty Wilson said...

This block keeps flipping on me. It has a really dynamic feel. Very interesting and very 3-D.

Susan B said...

Penny, nice perspective block! I was happy to see yours, since I tried one too. I really love drafting quilt blocks in perspective. Jacob's ladder is a good choice. I keep wanting to turn my head sideways to see it get smaller as it goes into the distance. :^)