Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Manipura I and II

I really loved Erin Wilson's quilts that were referenced in the challenge info (thanks, Brenda)... and as I started to sew, I found myself wanting to emulate her work... but I didn't. Her work is really stunning!
Both of my pieces were inspired by a leftover piece of Caryl Bryer Fallert's old fabric line, Glacier Bay (which is truly one of my fav places on the planet)... the hues of earthy tones were just amazing to stare at for awhile.
Manipura I: I tore random strips lengthwise and just sewed them back together... not a great idea, cuz the stitching doesn't really show but it helped shift the colorations a bit. The gold pieces were inserted into randomly cut slices and measure 1/4".
Manipura II: Fused applique on a solid background....Manipura is the 3rd chakra in energic healing (and show my yoga background). It's the solar plexus of the body, usually portrayed in gold/yellow and with the Sanskrit character for "ram," a seed sound in Sanskrit which is used in mantras and often refers to fire.The "ram" was freehand embroidered over the fused applique. The 10 lotus petals each represent a syllable in Sanskrit often used in chanting.
They measure about 15 x 20" each. Machine quilted with King Tut thread (gotta love it).
I have another one in my head, hope to get it done at the end of the week....thanks, Brenda, for a fun challenge. Comments, of course, are welcome!

8 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Wendy, I love your quilts, especially the simplicity of the first one. It is so eloquent.
What gorgeous fabric too!
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wendy. Both pieces are very nice. The background fabric is great. I really like the second piece, and how the focus design picks up the shades of gold in the fabric. Great choice of background and applique!

Carole said...

Oh, hey!! There is a triangle!!!
What a beautiful 'set' Wendy,again, your work is so inspirational, so full of meaning!!
I love your work and always am anxious to see what you do with a challenge.
Your background fabric is perfect, what kind of a stitch did you use for quilting? On Manipura I it appears to have some width to it. A nice touch whatever it is.

[I am going to put a triangle in mine, my husband suggested it be inverted... I will post it to my blog later.]
Carole

Cay Denise said...

Hi Wendy!

Manipura II is lovely! To me, it fully responds to the single focus portion of the challenge...and the quilting reinforces it. Nice job!

Joni said...

Wendy,
both your quilts are wonderful, however I especially like Manipura II. The quilting is fantastic, I like the way it reflects the feel of sun rays, and the focal point really drawns one in. I love the background fabric along with everyone else. The whole piece does have energy and healing! Joni

brendaj said...

Hi Wendy,

They are both great. I've been "saving" some of the blue glacier bay fabric; cut it up for a border once, and decided the piece wasn't deserving of that fabric!

Anyway, I love the stitching on the second piece; just lovely, but I am really drawn to the first piece. Great job on both!

Brenda

Betty Donahue said...

I especially like Manipura II.

Simple, elegant, and I love the colors.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy,
My favorite is the Manipura II..it's gorgeous. It just glows! I love the symbolism, too
Cynthia