Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Naughty Little Puppy


A Naughty Little Puppy


I must have gone through a dozen ideas for this challenge before I decided to do this entry. I liked the idea of one focal point, but struggled with the concept of a large background. After scanning through a multitude of pictures of our dog Ginger, this pitiful expression caught my attention and so was chosen for this piece. She is often a naughty little dog, even now that she is grown up, and is certainly the “alpha” of this household. At least she is somewhat repentant in this photo.
This composition was achieved by printing the photo onto fabric, then fusing it to the bright pink fabric, a striped border was added to set it all apart from the background. Thinking the quilting would look like naughty vibes coming from Ginger, concentric increasing diamonds were used. I’m calling this a work in progress, since it doesn’t seem to look finished to me. The resemblance to a place mat is much too strong. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

10 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

How adorable Joni :-) If the ears stood up pointy it could be my naughty little puppy...LOL
I love that you put it on point and the echo quilting...good job!

Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Joni,what a great focal point. And the border really sets off the puppy. I too like that you set it on point, makes it very interesting.

LAQuilts said...

Cute - your background has a print which makes it nicer. Maybe you can try a smaller part to the right and bottom to try and make it less place mat like. Maybe one inch from each point.

Wendy said...

Looks like someone is in the doghouse for sure! Oh those eyes!
I think its the shape that makes you think of a placemat.... Maybe make it more square and add more hot pink to a binding to decrease the rectangular shape?

Carole said...

Hi Joni.... what a cutie, albeit he is 'naughty'.
Nice choice of fabrics, keeping the focus where it is intended.
Shape? Well, some good suggestions have come forth, maybe that inch or so on each of the sides [left and right] and keeping it the length you have?

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What if you chop off one or more corners to make it an asymmetrical odd shape? Maybe trim /bind just one corner with the same striped fabric you used around your pup?
Cherie

brendaj said...

Hi Joni,

I love the focus piece of the puppy and stripe, and the background fabric has a very nice contrast. What if the bottom of the piece followed the shape of the point; i.e. comes across straight from the left side about even with the bottom of the point and then echoes the point as the quilting does; then a slight turn to be parallel with the top again. I bet that's as clear as mud! Maybe binding with the striped fabric?

Great job,

Brenda

Joni said...

Thanks for the many helpful suggestions, I'm really glad I left the binding off this piece to wait for your input. I think the idea of changing the shape is great, and should add more interest. I think the striped binding might improve it too. Thanks also to Brenda for this challenge, I'm learning alot! Joni

Betty Donahue said...

Sometimes the "naughty" ones are the endearing ones. Great.
Betty

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni,
This is a sweet piece in all ways...the pink, the stripe, the flowers and that darling dog. Have you considered cropping off some of the left side? I might look more balanced. I think the binding idea will help with balancing also.
Great job
Cynthia