Monday, August 11, 2008

Challenge 23 Less is More 12.5'x42.5"



I've been thinking a lot lately about creating "simpler" pieces (thus the idea for the challenge). I really like the idea of a large background, but have not seen many quilting examples other than wholecloth quilts. I found that creating this piece was actually quite difficult, as I ended up agonizing over every detail (and redoing several things). Now you know why I am 9 or 10 days late finishing it!

The background fabrics are arashi shibori dyed silks (something I've been playing with a bit this year). I had already done the purple one, and ended up making the charcoal one last week to go with this. The little rectangle is a piece of dupioni silk. It is quilted with rayon threads.

I like the final result, but I have had some technical difficulties working with the silks. Under the charcoal piece I used a non-woven stabilizer, and it is showing some creasing. Hopefully I can fix that somehow. There are also a couple of areas where the fusible got on the surface, so any ideas how to get it off would also be greatly appreciated.

I would appreciate any comments, and thank you all for coming up with such great results!

Brenda Jennings


3 comments:

Linda Cline said...

The first thing I noticed about your piece is the beautiful background fabric. You have done a wonderful job of showcasing it. The gentle curving pattern help lead the eye down to the simple design at the bottom. I like the symmetry. The pattern in the purple adds interest and keeps it from being too symmetrical or too simple.

Carole said...

Stunning, worth waiting for.
Beautifully simple!
I agree with Linda, the background fabric is so perfect for the intent of this piece.

Cay Denise said...

Hi Brenda,

When I first saw the top photo, it reminded me of the sun setting. In looking at an enlarged version of that photo, I'm delighted in the glow of the background fabric in certain areas. The fuscia colored fabric over the charcoal piece also has a glow and that's the piece that appears as a sun with the background being the halo of color that trails its movement.
The piece is well-balanced and has a quiet but exciting feel to it.

Overall, this piece is lovely and absolutely meets the challenge theme. Congratulations!

Cay Denise