Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chard






This was a challenge I had a good time with---not a fast piece to do, but learned a lot and like what I've done. The quAdd Videoilt is not completely finished---some of the "background" still needs quilting.

I am posting the original photo, original cropped, and Photoshopped photo. The full shot and a close-up of the quilt are also posted. The photo is of a large pot of red and white chard with small flowers and ivy. It was taken at the Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, NC. I'd never seen chard planted with flowers before and it was a wonderful sight!

The quilt was done by layering pieces of fabric onto the batt with backing underneath. The fabrics are batiks and other cottons. I placed a layer of pale blue tulle over it all and did a lot of pinning. The quilting is not only the decoration but the "glue" for the quilt.

Comments welcome.


8 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a great idea for a colorspot planting this is! I love your interpretation. Very colorful

Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sally, Wonderful, colorful abstraction...good job!. My favorite part is that peach colored flower shape with the dark blue column under it. Those are complementary colors and it really is eye catching...as is the red trunk against the green. Successful piece, congrats!
Cynthia

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

What an interesing subject! I think you have done a very good job of abstracting it. Good movement with the wavy lines, and placement of the elements.

Carole said...

Sally, what a delightful piece.
I have always struggled with the abstract feature of art, but you've set me in a new direction, I am going to play in Photoshop [I am new to it].
Lovely and you certainly 'abstracted'!

Sally said...

Carole--I went to Filter/Artistic/Palette Knife. That seemed to fit this situation the best. All of the filters are fun to play with---amazing what you can do with your photos. Sally

anna k. said...

Sally,
you certainly met the challenge of abstraction with this piece. Well done.
You've made the humble chard delightful
a great idea to use photoshop to achieve a very interesting and colorful abstraction.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Love technique and approach to this abstraction. Ok, one more thing on my learn-to-do list!

The hot red of the chard and bloom are counterbalanced by the cool green. Very nice.

LAQuilts said...

What a fantastic way to create an abstract piece. Great idea I'm going to put that in my box of ideas. I love the swiss chard