Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Garden Abstract





I started with a picture I took in Denver's Larimer Square last summer. With help from a QA member, I enlarged the picture and printed it on plain paper in 4 sections so it measured 16" x 20." Then I used it for templates. Using hand-dyed fabrics, I tried to recreate the general feeling of the wavy shapes in the photo. My goal was to make the quilt totally abstract, but it wanted to be a landscape. At least I managed to keep the actual flowers out of the quilt . The hanging threads represent the weeds in my own garden.

Well, I took it to "unabstract" by adding the original photo. I also added a computer-manipulated phot of magenta petunias. I'm also considering cutting the quilt off just below the original photo and only using the bottom 2/3rds. Am I making it better, or worse? Comments are always welcome - I learn so much here!

8 comments:

Joni said...

Katie,
I love what you are doing with this abstract, your quilting is wonderful and adds alot of texture to the piece. If you look at the picture for inspiration, you may consider adding some of the dark green and the bright magenta. Maybe narrow flowing strips to accent what you already have. It's already a beautiful peaceful quilt. Joni

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Katie, I agree with Joni, what would happen if you laid on some narrow to wider dark strips? It is a very nice piece as is, some strips might add more 'zip' to it.

Linda Cline said...

I like what you've done. Maybe you need to add a focal point. You could put in some clusters or drifts of abstracted flowers. Or a larger abstract shape for a focal point.

Carole said...

Nice color layout and nice quilting too, the different sections of quilting motifs add texture and interest. I also think it needs a focal point.
Maybe something around or near that magenta piece would bring it into the 'picture'?

LAQuilts said...

I think the computer photos add a great focal point to the the lovely color landscape.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I like your approach to the abstraction Process. Beautiful quilting!
I think your idea to cut away the top third would work if you want to go that way. Penny Irwin

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Katie, I love the flowing lines of this quilt. Have you considered rotating it 90 degrees? I tried it and really like the way it 'feels' that way...just a thought

Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Katie, You really captured the colors and the vibrant feel of the bed of flowers. Like the photo transfers too...it was needed...but I'd like to see another one somewhere. Elements usually look more interesting in odd numbers. I think it would look more balanced to add a third element of a different size.
Cynthia