Sunday, August 03, 2008

Oatmeal



The size is 10" x 15". This one was difficult for me. I chose to try for a piece without a focal point, and this is what resulted. I asked my husband to find the focal point, and he couldn't and when I said there isn't supposed to be one, he said he had been thinking it was just kind of blah. So, where is the difference between blah and unfocused? I know it's low on contrast, but that doesn't guarantee no focal point. I have a lot of studying to do to understand these principles of art. Critiques are SO welcome!

5 comments:

LAQuilts said...

Quite excellent - it surprises me that there is not focus but there is some great movement - so if your eyes move in the piece does that make it no focus.

Anonymous said...

You ask a great question.
Maybe movement is the answer or part of the answer? With no movement a piece might look dead. I dont know.
You achieved a lot of movement in this as mentioned above. The squares seem to swirl around the central bar. It might be interesting to cut some more long bars/sashes of different length and widths and experiment with different groupings on the surface of this.
Penny Irwin

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Very nice piece. I agree there is a lot of movement in the piece, even the background fabris.

Wendy said...

I too see the movement, and yet, a real sense of peace.... reminds me of a mountain meadow not far from here.... it made me smile!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Katie, I really like the colors and textures in your fabric choices. To me, this is a good start but it doesn't seem finished. I think you are onto something with your low contrast comment. you could add some high contrast (and more interest) without making a single focal point...look at Linda Cline's Sea Glass II...perfect example
Good job...I think we all learned something on this challenge!
Cynthia