Friday, October 31, 2008

Autumn Poeville, by Penny Irwin

8" by 11"
As some suggested I am continuing "In the manner of Paul Klee" as a series.

Studying his use of perspective I looked at so many Klee paintings that I could see them when I looked away and with my eyes closed!
It appears to me that Klee deliberately obliterated perspective. The sky and Earth are where they belong but values and relative sizes that would indicate perspective are jumbled together.

Klee's painting, Crystal Gradation , suggests the peaks and valleys of a mountain terrain. I based Autumn Poeville on that idea.
Klee's light source appears omnidirectional to me.
To at least acknowledge perspective I cheated a bit by giving the light direction.

Poeville is a ghost town on Peavine Mountain. Seemed appropriate for October.
-----
I have a hold on a book written by Klee. Hopefully it will shed some light on his cryptic painting rules. I would like to know whether or not he obliterated perspective intentionally or if I am way off the mark.

7 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Penny, Klee would be proud!

janice pd said...

Hi Penny, I love your series inspiration. What would this have looked like if you had used a fabric other than the checks for the buildings? Nice job!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I love the way the colors fairly glow. I think the checked squares are a bit distracting...instead of flowing with the rest of the composition, they are the absolute focal point. Is that what you intended?
By the way, are you a rockhound? Thanks for the info for the field trip...I will try to do it when in Reno next time :)
Cherie

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

Paul Klee has often intrigued me. When this group did a challenge based on an artist, I also chose Klee. This is a wonderful interpretation of Crystal Garden, but like Cherie I find the checked squares to be a little distracting and somewhat out of proportion to your overall piece. I do love the angles of the sections. The circle gives the eye a resting place. Good job!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Penny - This piece is fascinating to look at. It does confuse the eye - or at least my eye - but that makes it intriguing. I will join the chorus about the checked squares - somehow they don't seem to fit with the other elements. Really interesting work!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Penny, Klee's my favorite too. I agree...he doesn't seem to use perspective much, other than some overlapping of elements. And things seem to be jumbled up...maybe to make the viewer see things differently.
I like your piece..there's a hint of perspective with the angled lines. I think you could have enhanced that with the quilting lines so the eye follows. If each shape is viewed as a plane, the lines could flow with it either down or across the plane. And if the lines were converging down or across with the plane, it might look even more intriguing.
Good job, Katie. I look forward to seeing more!
Cynthia

Betty Warner said...

Penny, I echo a number of the comments above. I see some perspective where there is high contrast. I wonder what you could accomplish if you expanded upon this effort by creating a larger rendition. Love the concept. Love your use of the color. Wonder what you will do next.