Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Between Here and There



This was a fun challenge! I have set criteria for myself in these challenges to keep it small and simple, and use things I already have. I had to dig to find enough tints and shades of red fabrics (without having to get out paint, etc.) in my stash. I don't have a huge amount of reds, but that's the color this piece needed to be.

Continuing my series on diabetes, this piece represents the target blood sugar range...where a "normal" person just is and where a diabetic person has to work hard to try to be. Somewhere between here and there: 70-100. It's about 10" square.

Thoughts? -Karen

9 comments:

Kathy Angel Lee said...

With the reds you had, I think you achieved your purpose. Your diabetes series might look nice in a doctor's office for telling a story.
Kathy

janice pd said...

hi karen, i left a comment on the group page....nice to see a color other than blue!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Karen - Great job. I really like the numbers having shadows. They do give a feeling of perspective. I like your idea of communicating using few and simple symbols - it certainly is working.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Love the color, the shadows cast by the numbers are great, very nice piece and I agree with Kathy, these would be great in a Dr's office.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Not many shades of red, however you made them work wonderfully. Like others have said the shadows really add to the overall effect. great work.

anna k. said...

Karen, this works so well as a monochromatic piece. Your choice of fabric is excellent as is your demonstration of perspective.
Well done.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

You did such a great job shading those numbers to create depth Karen! That together with the shadows just nails the perspective!
Great job!
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Karen, I'm enjoying your work and this one is a good addition to your series. Besides the shading and shadowing, the quilting lines add to the good perspective. With the horizontal lines on the back wall and the 2 different sets of diagonal lines on the floor, it shows depth and distance as well as the two planes. Great job!
Cynthia